We’ve put together some interesting information on the Industrial history of Burton Green and Kenilworth and its relation to the Greenway
The present Greenway was a branch line that ran through Burton Green from Balsall Common to Kenilworth and Leamington then going on to London, but this was scrapped in the mid 1960’s as a result of the Beeching report. There were two halts in Burton Green, one by the Red Lane/Cromwell Lane footpath and the other was by the site of where the power station now stands. The northern route ran to Berkswell and Hampton in Arden. This branch line was completed in 1884 and because of the steep gradient between Kenilworth and Burton Green; the line was raised and not tunnelled through the red sand stone.
The siding at Berkswell was used by the Royal Train both in our present Queen’s reign and that of her Father, King George VI.
Evidence of the Greenway’s past as a railway line can still be seen amongst the foliage with two platforms either side of Burton Green village, and the signal box base at Kenilworth. At Common Lane, where the Greenway starts, a typical Victorian viaduct can be seen.
www.burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk (The West Midlands Village Book)
A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 6: Knightlow hundred
Author: L.F. Salzman (editor)
‘Kenilworth’s Railway Age’ by Robin D Leach, Odibourne Press 1985